You may be considering having a barbecue (BBQ), particularly with the hot weather set to continue.
We want you to remain safe. Last Wednesday (7 June), a fire occurred at one of our buildings in Whitehorse Road, Croydon.
The fire is being treated as accidental, but investigators from the London Fire Brigade believe the most probable cause of the fire was a barbecue on a balcony.
Thankfully no one was injured, but the fire did cause damage to four flats.
Here's a reminder of some top safety tips to follow:
- Never use a BBQ indoors or on a balcony. This includes any temporary outdoor shelter including tents, marquees, yurts, gazebos and playhouses
- Always use your BBQ in accordance with the operating instructions
- Check your BBQ for damage before use. Never use a faulty, defective BBQ – make sure you only use one in good working order
- Ensure your BBQ is on a level ground when using it. In the case of disposable BBQs, use on a non-combustible surface. Keep away from any trees, fences, sheds or shrubs
- Don't use petrol, paraffin or any flammable liquids on your BBQ – firelighters are a much safer option
- Keep children and pets far away from the BBQ area
- Never leave the BBQ unattended
- Keep a bucket of water or sand nearby in case of emergencies
- Ensure disposable BBQs are cold before disposing responsibly into refuse containers. Even a slightly warm BBQ could cause a fire
- The cooking area should be well away from buildings and well ventilated with fresh air
- A BBQ can still give off fumes that can give you carbon monoxide poisoning even when you’ve finished cooking with it. You should always leave it outside
- Be aware of the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning: Headaches, Nausea, Breathlessness, Dizziness, Collapse, Loss of consciousness.
You'll find further advice on the London Fire Brigade's website.