When costs rise, it can be very difficult to make ends meet. There is help for you.
Our teams are on hand to discuss budgeting with you.
- If you're a resident living in a home previously managed by Optivo you can use our Money Planner (an online questionnaire about your current situation and your budget). You don't need to provide us with exact figures, just fill in what you know and the tool will advise further. Our Money Planner can be accessed through our online service MyAccount - simple register and login to get started.
If you'd like to speak to us please contact us and ask to speak to our Financial Inclusion team.
- If you're a resident living in a home previously managed by Southern Housing Group (SHG) please contact us and ask to speak to our Financial Inclusion team.
Identify the support you need
We can help you to find out what financial support is available for you and your family.
We provide Southern Housing residents with FREE access to the Lightning Reach portal.
This service can direct you quickly and securely to vital support and assist you in finding and applying to charities and local authorities for financial support.
The Lightning Reach portal also includes a benefit calculator to make sure your income is being maximised and you are collecting the benefit payments you are entitled to based on your circumstances.
Take control of your money
If you want to get out of debt, set up a budget, or save for a home, nudge can guide you.
As well as advice and simple budgeting tools, the app can send you a message (text, email or WhatsApp) whenever you might need to do something with your money.
You will be invited to apply for your State Pension up to 4 months before you reach State Retirement Age.
Your State Pension will not automatically be put in payment when you retire so please make sure you act on your invite.
Pension Credit gives you extra money to help with your living costs if you’re over the State Pension age and if your weekly income is less than £201.05 per week for a single person or £306.85 for a couple. To find out more about Pension Credit or if your eligible, visit the GOV.UK website.
- Community Advice Service Ltd - debt and welfare benefits advice
- nudge - money guidance
- Lightning Reach - find out what financial support is available for you and your family.
- StepChange Debt Charity
- Citizens Advice
- Money Advice Service
- National Debt Line
- Turn 2 Us
- Help for Households - Get government cost of living support
- Entitled To – benefits calculator
- Policy In Practice - benefits calculator
- Turn2Us – benefits calculator
- Universal Credit Support (uc-helper.co.uk) - A step by step guide for claimants that helps you through the UC application process. It’s also a handy reference guide for helping you complete a claim.
- Local foodbanks
- Back on Track
- Financial support for mortgage holders.
Beware of scams and loan sharks
The cost-of-living crisis is making 2023 a harder year financially, putting more people under pressure.
In fact, 71% currently have less disposable income compared to an average month before the crisis. There are scammers and loan sharks out there looking to make it even harder.
If you think you, or someone you know, has borrowed money from a loan shark you can get confidential help and advice from the Stop Loan Sharks campaign by calling 0300 555 2222, or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
To find out more about loan sharks or make an anonymous report online, visit the Stop Loan Sharks website.