This leaflet pictured has been sent out to all tax credit claimants even though some i.e. those who also get another legacy benefit, may not receive their migration notice for another 12 months or more.
It’s important to note, this isn’t a migration a notice and it doesn’t mean the claimant has to claim Universal Credit (UC) yet.
Those worse off on UC will NOT receive the transitional protection* they need if they claim UC before receiving their migration notice.
*Some may be entitled to the transitional SDP element.
Important Key Messages:
• If you’ve received a red and blue leaflet - “Tax credits are ending - get ready for Universal Credit” this is NOT a migration notice and you do NOT have to claim UC yet.
• If you’ve received a migration notice, then your tax credits will be coming to an end (whether or not you claim UC).
• You’ll have to make a new claim for UC - the move to UC will not happen automatically.
• You’ve around three months from receiving your migration notice to make your claim for UC and the timing of that claim can be important.
REMEMBER: The only people who should be looking to make a claim for Universal Credit are:
- Those who have received a migration notice (although timing of the UC claim can be important)
- Those who would be better off on UC (although lots to consider here and they should speak to a benefits/money adviser before making the claim)
- Those who have a change in circumstances and this 'triggers' the need to claim UC.