We’d advise you to familiarise yourself with any fire safety information in communal areas of your block. 

Should I get out or stay put?

The advice on whether to evacuate or not will depend on the building you live in.

If you live in a purpose built block of flats, there will be a fire action notice in the communal areas with the recommended approach for your building.

Further information about bungalows, houses or a flat within a converted older building can be found on the London Fire Brigade's website here.

Top tips

There are lots of things you can do to ensure you're fire safe in your home

We want you and your family to always be safe in your home. Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms save lives by alerting you to immediate dangers within your home.

It’s important you have smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms installed and regularly check they’re working.

Consider having one on every floor of your home and in rooms that have a higher risk of a fire.

Make sure you test your smoke alarms regularly (at least once a month).

It’s important everyone does their bit to keep each other safe in a shared building:

  • Don’t obstruct communal areas, for example storing pushchairs or scooters in halls. Talk to your neighbours if walkways are blocked and report to us if action is needed
  • Don’t store personal belongings in communal service cupboards – these are for gas, water or electrical services and should be kept locked
  • Don’t prop fire doors open
  • Make sure you know the fire safety arrangements for your block – familiarise yourself with the fire action notices for your building and evacuation policy.

Did you know that flameless LED candles are a much safer alternative to real candles or tea lights?

If you’re using candles, then please follow the safety advice of the fire service

Learn more

If you smoke, try to avoid doing so inside. If you do smoke inside:

  • Make sure the cigarette is extinguished
  • Don't smoke in bed or anywhere you may fall asleep
  • Never leave anything with a flame unattended
  • Use proper ashtrays and never put ash or hot cigarettes in the bin
  • Store matches and lighters away safely when not in use and keep out of the reach of children.

Did you know around 60% of all fires start in the kitchen? The leading cause of these fires is unattended cooking, so never leave pans or grills unattended when in use.

Avoid cooking when you’re overly tired, drowsy from medication or under the influence of alcohol. Some other quick and easy tips include;

  • Keeping oven gloves and tea towels away from heat
  • Turning handles away from where they can be knocked over
  • Never putting metal in the microwave.

Make sure heaters are kept a distance from anything that may set alight and don't plug too many appliances into electrical sockets.

A fire occurred at one of our buildings in Croydon in July 2023. The fire is being treated as accidental, but investigators from the London Fire Brigade believe the most probable cause of the fire was a barbecue on a balcony.

Thankfully no one was injured, but the fire did cause damage to four flats.


  • Never use a BBQ indoors or on a balcony. This includes any temporary outdoor shelter including tents, marquees, yurts, gazebos and playhouses
  • Always use your BBQ in accordance with the operating instructions
  • Check your BBQ for damage before use. Never use a faulty, defective BBQ – make sure you only use one in good working order
  • Ensure your BBQ is on a level ground when using it. In the case of disposable BBQs, use on a non-combustible surface. Keep away from any trees, fences, sheds or shrubs
  • Don't use petrol, paraffin or any flammable liquids on your BBQ – firelighters are a much safer option
  • Keep children and pets far away from the BBQ area
  • Never leave the BBQ unattended
  • Keep a bucket of water or sand nearby in case of emergencies
  • Ensure disposable BBQs are cold before disposing responsibly into refuse containers. Even a slightly warm BBQ could cause a fire
  • The cooking area should be well away from buildings and well ventilated with fresh air
  • A BBQ can still give off fumes that can give you carbon monoxide poisoning even when you’ve finished cooking with it. You should always leave it outside
  • Be aware of the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning: Headaches, Nausea, Breathlessness, Dizziness, Collapse, Loss of consciousness.

Do you use or own an e-scooter or e-bike? The London Fire Brigade (LFB) are reporting a huge increase in fires related to them.

Here are some tips to minimise the risk of a fire starting, potentially putting you, your home and neighbours’ homes at risk.

The LFB attended 116 fires in 2022 relating to e-scooters and e-bikes. In 2023, on average, they’ve attended a fire once every two days.

E-scooters and e-bikes often use Lithium batteries which can start incredibly ferocious fires. These fires are hard to control and spread extremely quickly.

  • Always unplug your charger when you’ve finished using it
  • Make sure you have working smoke alarms
  • Never leave it charging unattended or charge it while you are asleep
  • Don’t overload any plug socket such as extension leads
  • Don’t overcharge your battery – the manufacturer’s instructions will contain this information
  • Read your manufacturer’s instructions
  • Get out and call 999 in the event of an e-scooter or e-bike fire.