Whether you rent, or you own your own home, we recommend you have a contents insurance policy in place.

If you ever lost all your possessions in a burglary, fire, or flood, it would cost a lot to replace them.

It can be difficult to know what's covered, but contents insurance generally covers the items that would fall down, if you turned your home upside down, for example, clothing, furniture, jewellery and appliances.
Contents insurance covers the cost to repair or replace any items that are:

• Damaged
• Destroyed
• Stolen

Keep in mind that with cover, there are limits, terms and exclusions. You’ll need to check your policy documents to find out what is and isn’t covered.

Learn more from the ABI

22% private renters don't have contents insurance
£52000 is the value of an average home's contents in 2023